Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Friday, January 22, 2016

Condo Life vs Cabin Life vs RV Life


This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox.
January 21, 2016 prompt:  It's All About the Journey:  Where did you travel this year? Did it move or change you?

Condo Life vs Cabin Life vs RV Life
Four  summers ago, my BFF in NOLA took a vacation to Navarre Beach, Florida and she invited her sister, her family, and me to join her. Navarre is half way between Daddy in Pensacola (before he passed away) and Mama in Panama City, so I thought it would be a great place to visit. I grew up on the beaches of NW Florida, and love them. I believe with all my heart that the Miracle Strip (100 miles of sugar white sand between Pensacola and Panama City)  are the most beautiful beaches in Florida—and most of the world for that matter. Even though the beach front condo we stayed at was not pet friendly (at least not the condo unit we rented), I agreed to join them. We had a blast and I visited Bandit daily at the Vet office where I boarded him.  Three summers ago, we returned to the same condo, different unit.   I loved the sunrises and sunsets from the bedroom and balcony, and decided the Beachfront Condo Life is for me!

But then…
Two summers ago, Bandit and I took a huge loop of many of the western states (western Route 66, up Coast Highway 1 in CA, up to Oregon—with the possibilities of continuing to Washington  and possibly Canada—coming home to Texas with  stops in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado). During this trip, I tripped and banged myself up pretty good. After the fall, I decided to take it a bit slower than what I had planned. Then the steering in my SUV went out, and after that was repaired and we were on the road again,  a tire blew. On a Friday. In the middle of nowhere—it was almost 5pm by the time I found a WalMart with a sympathetic service manager and a couple of tire guys that stayed late to help out a damsel in distress. Even fraught with all that drama that was the summer I decided when I retire I’m selling everything, buying an RV, and traveling the remainder of my active years. I picked up an RV magazine and started comparing models and making retirement plans. I decided the RV Life is for me! 

Until…
This past summer I rented a hand-hewn cabin in the Georgia mountains. It was awesome. I chose this particular cabin for two reasons:  the hand-hewn aspect, and it was both cat and dog-friendly. In the past I’ve rented dog friendly cabins in Ruidoso NM. Since Bandit and I rescued and subsequently adopted Moggy, I’ve found travel to be slightly more problematic. Dogs go outside on a leash and the human scoops the poop. Cats on the other hand require litter boxes and extra training for the leash—which thus far has not been successful. I travel a lot and feel a travel kennel is too small for Moggy on long trips. Therefore, I placed a small litter box in a dog crate along with a cat bed. Because I was concerned with litter fly-out, I wrapped the lower half of the crate in a light-weight blanket. Now Moggy can travel long distance in relative comfort. This particular cabin was one of six that I found that were both dog and cat friendly. While the others were closer to streams or more secluded, I chose this cabin because all the others had logs that were too perfect. They reminded me of modular cabins. This cabin was quirky. I like quirky. So perhaps the Cabin Life is for me!

But maybe…
Can I have it all? I’ll need a home base anyway, why not a cabin in the mountains or a condo on the beach?  In fact, why not both?  I could rent them out when I’m traveling. They could be Retirement Income as well as a home base when I’m off the road. Even if none of my hopes and dreams come to fruition, I’ve come to the conclusion it’s not a condo life vs cabin life vs RV life that I’m looking forward to, it’s the Retirement Life that’s for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment