Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

BirdDogs

My backyard birds are entertaining to watch. 

Usually.

Here lately, I've felt the need to referee them as they've stepped up their fighting at the feeders and unseen boundry lines.

The Chickadees, are bossy as heck.

I relate to bossy. I am bossy. I have been bossy my whole life. In fact, on one of my 4th grade report cards the notation from the teacher says, "Mary Lou has been 'mothering' the other children again."  I asked Mama about that. Her translation: "You were a  bossy child." 

Humph. 

I can't help it if I know how to get things done and speak directly.   I am cognizant of this tendency, and I do attempt to temper my speech with kindess and grace. However, I do not sugar coat issues,  and I'm not always successful in toning down the bossiness. 

This failure has resulted in my  successfully embracing the fine art of The Apology.

Anyway, I like my Chickadees.  I relate to them. They have been chittering at all the other birds for a few weeks now.

Chittering is okay.

But they have escalated their behaviour, and are now flying at the other birds. Not in the playful way the Hummingbirds buzz Yours Truly.  But in a Pearl Harbor suicidal-dive-bombing kind of way. Especially when it comes to the Dove that has started camping out on one of the feeder ledges. She is flat out taking up residence for half an hour at a time. I may need to start charging rent.  Or tell her the buffet has a two minute time limit.

Most of the other birds just hang back and watch as the seed level sinks lower and lower. But not the Chickadees. They fly right up to her and chit her out. They move her off the ledge. Maybe she moves away because she's full, but I like to think David is reslaying Goliath. Daily.

I agree with the Chickadees. While I don't begrudge those going through a rough time  and are truely in need,  I'm personally tired of working to pay for all the perks others receive, while I can't afford them for myself--especially freebies that our government hands out to able-bodied people who prefer scamming the system to an honest days work.  I realize I can't tilt at every windmill, so I just B&M here on my blog. And occassionally write my  public servants to complain.

But back to the bossy birds--when the Chickadees start going after the bigger birds--and the real backyard bullies--the infamous BlueJays--I caution the Chickadees to pick their dragons carefully--some dragons slay easy, while others breath fire.  It's usually not evident which is which until they open their mouth. 

To that end, I caution the Chickadees to be careful.  But rather than be careful, I think the Chickadees have started rubbing off on the Hummingbirds. 

Although I love the forthrightness of the Chickadees, the Hummers are my faves. They are also the most curious about me. 

The  Hummers are the ones who almost--but not quite, at least not yet--engage me, by buzzing my head, posing for photos, and play hide-and-seek when they notice me watching them.

Hummers can be very  territorial. Especially over their food source. I occassionally see them dart at birds when they fly a little too near their nectar feeders. But I've also started to see them flying, with their long sword-like beaks poised threateningly, at birds who are just sitting on branches  minding their own business.  They just happen to be in the same tree.

Even more alarming to me: the Hummingbirds have begun attacking each other this week. Not just at the feeder. Not just while sotting on branches in the feeder tree. They have also been attacking each other in the tip-top branches of their resting tree. I also like to call it their surveillance tree. Not only do they almost engage me--they also stalk me. 

Now, the Doves are fighting each other. It seems Covid-19 isn't the only malady out there.  Some nights it's like an avian free-for-all in my backyard.  The thing of it is: It's not like they are fighting because they are starving. 

I'm spending a small fortune keeping all the feeders full.  There's no call for the birds, or the squirrels, to fight each other for their dinner.

I have premium shelled seeds, nuts, and fruit bits in the house and peacock feeders. The suet ball feeder stays full.  Not too many of the birds seem to care for the balls. Maybe they are too hard to get out of the feeder. All my backyard critters love the suet feeders on the back fence. In fct, I can't refill them fast enough.  The Hummers actually wiggle their little tail feathers when I put out the cold nectar.  When I mix the nectar, I fill their feeders only about 1/3 to 1/2 full. The Texas summer heat is rough on leftover nectar, and since bad nectar can kill my Feathered Friends, I keep the unused nectar fresh in the fridge until I use it to fill a feeder.  I also perform frequent scrubbings  and refills on the feeders. 

I'm an Equal Opportunity Critter Spoiler, so I also put corn on the cob in the bungee feeder--just for the squirrels.  I hope the bunge cord eventually lessens the squirrel raids on the seed and suet feeders. I'm not sure how effective it is. I see the squirrels trying to eat at every place setting--including the Hummingbird feeders. 

I don't think the birds, or the squirrels,  should feel the need to have to fight for their dinner. There's plenty to go around.  

Tonight as I served up more seed, I realized the birds not only  fight each other,  and the squirrels--they also have to  watch out for my BirdDogs hogging the bird food as well!

I only captured a photo of one of the BirdDogs at the feeder, but trust me, both TheGirls were present for this photo opp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment