Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Checks and Balances

Checks and balances can be annnoying, and tedious; however, they can also prevent mishaps.

A while back I had an RFA (Radiofrequency Ablation) of my Right Lesser Saphinous Vein  (calf down to ankle). Today I went in for the same procedure on my Left Greater Saphinous Vein (left groin down the whole leg).

Basically in an RFA a thin catheter is inserted in the vein and radiofrequency energy (rather than laser) is directed through it.  The electrical current generates temperatures of 120°C to destroy the vein. 

In preparation,  two hours before my procedure, I smeared a thick layer of lidocaine cream along the vein line, then wraped my leg in press and seal (so much easier than the saran wrap they tell you to use in the "at home prep directions"--only, I was out of the snowman press and seal I wanted to use--I even went to HEB looking for some on Sunday--so I had to use my plain press and seal). The press and seal keeps the cream on the skin and off the clothes. 

In the procedure room they follow up with injectables--these shots and the advancement of the catheter are the most painful--like an annoying Auntie that keeps pinching your cheeks, or a pesky bee stinging you repeatedly.

Anyway, during the Time Out I'm giving all my info:

Name, DOB, my understanding of the procedure...yada yada yada...and I started to drift off as they recorded my responses. It didn't help that I kept trying to doze off while I read my book during the lag time between check-in/consenting and the RN site prep--they were running late due to other circumstances, and the "15 minutes" turned into a little over 45 minutes. 

When the Vascular Surgeon asked, "What is the site of todays procedure?"

Without thinking, I tapped my Left leg and popped off "Right Hip." 

As soon as the comment exited my mouth, I realized my mistake.  My eyes  flew open. The rest of the  heads in the room popped up like a life-sized "Whack-a-Mole" game. Their eyes swiveled toward me. Everyone was yelling at the same time.

They:  "No! No! No! No!" 

Me:  "No, I mean my LEFT--the one I prepped--I am pointing to it--you know, my OTHER right."  And so they would know I was fully awake and in control of my faculties, I reminded them, "You already did the right a few months back." 

They calmed down when they realized I was actually taping my Left Groin. 

I did not do it on purpose. It was an honest mistake. But I was encouraged to see their reaction, because it meant they were paying attention. 

But, it really was kind of comical.  

The iformation was also written on the whiteboard. Not my name, but the time, procedure, and site:
1500
RFA
LGSV

On a serious note, that's how mistakes are made: tired, stressed, overworked, inattentive folks inadvertently say the wrong thing and, if the checks and balances are not in place and  being followed, mistakes are made. 

Today I'm glad for the time-consuming and repetitive checks and balances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment