Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Sunday, November 22, 2020

"People Like You"

This month everything expires. Tags, Registration, Insurance (car and home), Driver License, med refills (Moggy, TheGirls, and me), Magazine subscriptions. You name it, if it has an expiration date, the gig will be up by the end of this month.

A panic attack tried to rear its ugly head as I remembered to check my Nursing Licence--I usually procrastinate and do most of my Continuing Education for the two years in October.  Or November.  Depending on my procrastination level. 

I thought I might be in good shape this renewal because I've been reading a lot of Covid articles, but I didn't think I've done a full 20 hours. When I checked it out,  I found my RN license is the only thing not expiring this year. And my CEs are in tip top shape. Next year my renewal will be drama-free.

That's a good thing since I had all the drama I care for this year at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Texas is in the process of moving toward a Real ID. If your TDL or state-issued ID card has a star on it, you are good to go.  Your renewal is routine. 

If you are starless, that would be me, you have to gather all kinds of documentation to prove who you are and you live here legally. The acceptable documentation includes your Birth Certificate, Social Security Number (SSN),  utility bill, passport, etc. 

The website incorrectly stated if your SSN is in the system, you don't need to have a hardcopy of it, and if you don't have a copy of your Birth Certificate, you can use your passport. Even an expired passport.  

I started gathering the items several months ago.  I even filled out the application on line and made a hard copy to sign in person at the DMV. I was ready. Early. 

I placed my packet of documentation in a safe place.

In my minds eye I can still see the packet.  I just can't see its location.  And November is almost over.

So I regathered documents and assembled a new packet. This time I added my pasport.

In my local DMV parking lot they have errected banners to inform the public they are only renewing TDLs by apointment.  The phone number listed was busy, so I went to the website to make an appointment.

The website is non-functional.

The DMV banner also said to email them if you experience problems with the site. This tells me the DMV already knows there are problems with their site.

I sent an email, stating "I'm in the parking lot now."

I received an automated response saying they would call me within 7 working days.

Not good enough.  So I decided to try and bluff my way in. I went to the door, and was covid questioned and temp checked. Then they asked, "What time is your apointment?"

My bravado failed and the stress tears and blubbering explanation ensued:

Website not working...lost packet...upcoming medical proceedures....only day left this month I can do this...
(I'm not normally a crier.  And I'm not hormonal. So I attribute this chink in my armor to the stress of, at that time, upcoming medical tests--since this visit to the DMV, I'm happy to report all medical tests, procedures, and follow-up appointments have been completed and the results have come back clear.)

"It's okay, we've got an appoinment coming up. You'll be seen today. Have a seat."

An hour later I was called back for my appointment.

That's when I learned the requirements have changed. 

I can not use my passport  because it's expired (the rule change is not yet reflected on the website). And, although they already have my SSN on file, they still require the hard copy because when they entered it, they entered it verbally.  I'm still puzzled over that one since my last renewal was done online. But it wasn't worth the debate, so I skipped that conversation and started back on the fact that I'm rapidly running out of time.  My 
 chink grew.

Tears and Blubbering, Round Two:

"But we can use a W2."

Hope.

I searched my documents and found my 1040.

"No. W2 only."

Really?!  My 1040 is a tax document with my full name and full SSN--just like my W2.  It should be acceptable
Right?

Brick wall.

Round Three:

"Here's what we'll do, we'll make an appointment for the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It's the last Saturday of the month that we're open. That will give you time to obtain a replacement birth certificate and a copy of your W2."

"Saturday?!  Saturdays are an option?"  The website does not advertise this tidbit of information. . 

"Yes. We do that for 'people like you'."

People like me?

Surely she did not mean it in a derogatory manner because I procrastinate and am a forgetful scatterbrain. 

True, I am a procrastinator and I misplaced my original packet.  But don't I get credit for starting my packet early?  Also,  I gathered the documentation from their list of approved examples.  Even though I misplaced the original packet, I was still able to reassemble a packet using the alternate documentation--and I accomplished this prior to the deadline. For me, being within the timeframe without requesting an extension is early.

So, did she mean people like me are reourceful? 

Maybe she meant people like me are gainfully employed with a weekday government job, and need weekend hours to conduct business with other governmental agencies.  

Or perhaps people like me are tax payors. 

I'm going with all of the above: 

People like me are gainfully employed, tax-paying, legal resident/citizens who manage to meet deadlines despite their personal flaws and being supplied faulty information. 

Whatever she meant, it's all good now. I have my temporary license, albeit with psycho eyes, and I anticipate the hard copy arrival by the end of the month. 

And, during the process of writing this blog post, I've remembered two more renewals:  my PIV Card at work expires February 2021. Yippee.  Big Brother has even more red tape and poorer communication of procedural changes than the great State of Texas. 

And I've also received yet another notification that my SUV warranty expires next month...




No comments:

Post a Comment