Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

H is for Haiku: A to Z Blogging Challenge 2018

h is for haiku
five seven five poetry
elusive season

Haiku is challenging for me, but it remains my favorite form of poetry. I know the Japanese count sounds that are not present in the English  language, so the pure 5-7-5 count does not really translate--but I still like the 5-7-5 count that most people, mistakenly or not, view as Haiku.  A well written Haiku is much more involved.

In addition to the syllable count, there is no title or punctuation--including capitalization.
But more important than the form, is the content.

The Haiku poem evokes the feeling of a season or time of year,  and after the cutting word--which acts as an audible punctuation mark--marrys two seemingly unrelated thoughts.

Unfortunately, I just don't get the kigo--seasonal component. I also don't get the kireji--the cutting word that acts as the verbal punctuation.  Sometimes I don't even get the grammatical or imagacal (that's not even a word--but you know what I mean) juxtaposition of the two different thoughts expressed.

But I still love the 5-7-5 count.

Senryu, another Japanese form of poetry,  is probably a more correct term for 5-7-5 poetry since Senryu has no requirement of  a seasonal reference. But more people are familiar with the term Haiku, so that's the term I use most. When I say I like 5-7-5 poems, if people don't get it, I have said, "it's kind of like Haiku--but without the season."  It's not strictly accurate; however, people seem to understand that description.

Writing Haiku is challenging. I don't write it well.  But I still live it.  And I'm slowly  learning and improving.  At least I hope so.  I'm basing my growth on the fact that I'm begining to recognize the need for the  contextual components. 

Now I just need to learn how to add them to the form...

haiku poetry
seasonal symbolism
challenge accepted


No comments:

Post a Comment