Search This Blog

Pages

The BOMB

Welcome to the BOMB.



The Blog Of the "Mother" of Bandit.
Bandit is my Hairless Chinese Crested--he's the "normal" one. I, on the other hand, am unrepentantly "pet-crazy." You know the type--the spinster who lives in the haunted house three blocks over with 72 cats...okay, so I don't have 72 cats, and my house isn't haunted--but my dogs wardrobe is better than mine! Need I say more? :~)
I've never been consistant at journaling, so the timing of my blogs will be sporadic at best. I just hope they are as entertaining to you as they are to me; however, be forewarned: Most of my blogs will be about The BaldOne. In spite of his Don King "do," I think he's just as cute as any of the Brothers B!
Now, if I can just remember not to get him wet--or feed him after midnight...

About Me

My photo
My bags are packed and I'm always ready to seek out an adventure with Bandit and Moggy in tow. Bandit is my thirteen year old Chinese Crested, who I frequently call The Bald One or The BaldOne Boy (like he was one of the Baldwin Brothers). Moggy’s full name is Pip-Moggy. He’s my two year old gansta-resuce kitty. I couldn’t decide between Pip (which are the spots on die and domino tiles) and Moggy (or Moggie when I mistakenly thought he was a she), so I combined the two. Moggy refers to the British term for "cat of unknown parentage .” So in essence, I have an almost bald dog, and I’ve named my cat “Spot.”

Fun Stuff (I'm doing now or have done)

  • Artistic Attempts weekly (alternating between Painting With A Twist, That Art Place, and Peniot's Palette).
  • Bunko with the Belton Bunko Babes monthly.
  • Participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
  • Spades and Liverpool Rummy with the Spadetts weekly.
  • The Mighty Texas Dog Walk, Austin (fund raiser for Service Dogs, Inc--they train shelter dogs to be Service Dogs, then give them free of charge to people with disabilities.)

Thursday, April 26, 2018

W is for Wandering: A to Z Blogging Challenge 2018

W.

Wonderfully witty writting words, watching...waiting...waiting...waiting...

Waiting was never my forte.  So I'll write without waiting. 

I'm at use or lose on my leave carryover at work, so I'm on vacation today. It was a random week I chose last October.

VA likes us to declare our leave time for the upcoming year during October of the previous year.  The activities I wanted to attend either had not announced their 2018 dates, or the weeks announced were already taken when I approached the Leave Calender.  So I claimed a couple random weeks.  When my Supervisor reminded me of this week I looked online to see what type of activities were going on and I found a 4-day conference that was perfect.

Well, almost perfect.  It was cost prohibitive. So I contacted Education to see if they had money in the budget for an awesome conference.   I told them about it's perfectness--every session offered is exactly what we discuss in Bed Huddle with the Chief of Staff and Director every morning, and the breakout sessions all delt with innovative solutions to the problems we face on the Ward, as well as during our daily Interdisciplanary Team Meetings. It would have greatly  benefited the VA for me to attend.

Education said I missed the request deadline and denied my request. It's perfectness didn't count to them.

It's so perfect, I considered paying for the confrence  and travel expenses out of my IRS refund, savings, and travel points, and using my vacation time to attend.

And then I thought again. 

Honestly, I've had a couple really hard weeks of only 2-3 people to cover both Temple and Waco campuses. This is on top of the almost 3 years we've been severely short-staffed. So, I decided to be selfish and keep my vacation just for me.

Next year, I'll apply for the conference early.  Of course it will be somewhere not in Texas, and the same topics won't be broached; therefore, unless the topics mirror next year's problems and concerns, it won't be as perfect. What it will be is expensive.  More so than this year, since it likely will be much farther away. Therefore, I will allow  VA to pay for the confrence, my flight, daily expenses, and keep me in pay status. They lost out on their chance to get it on the cheap this year.   Deadlines be d.... Okay, I've indulged myself long enough with the whining (a not so great W-word).

So this week I've been wasting time (awsesome vaycay W-word).  Wasting time is really a misnomer though, I've been quite productive:  I've engaged in house work, the laundry mountain,  caught up with the A to Z Blogging Challenge, bought a couple pair of jeans (on sale, with coupons, and smaller than I usually wear--woohoo!--a wonderful W-word), and spent time with the FurBoys--basically, I've done anything I felt like doing.  When I felt like doing it.  I've made no committments to anyone except The Boys. And I participated in my all-time favorite time-wasting activity today. 

Bandit and I went wandering. 

I love to wander--get in the car and drive aimlessly. The best wandering occurs spur-of-the moment. Up until I actually left, I was going to go by myself. But at the last minute I invited Bandit for a r•i•d•e. He jumped at the chance.  He loves rides. He also loves to have me to himself without The Cat.  Win-win. (Fabulous double W-word).

During one of our stops, I saw a sign that read, Whatever you do, do it with all your heart.  That's a committment I can get behind.

Along our travel route we passed the Big Ass Winery. Although they were referring to their donkey, I LOL a few miles down the road when I ran across Jung Street. I think Carl could have a heyday with the signs of central Texas.

Retirement is still quite a few years away.  I'm not exactly sure where I will be or what I'll be doing, but if I can incorporate wandering, I'll be a Happy Camper (another sign I saw during our wander today). 

I look forward to wasting more time as I wonder where and when I'll next wander.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're wallowing in your vacation time. You should use it for yourself. And I agree--make them pay for a conference for professional development. Maybe see if a work buddy can go with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a work buddy in attendance we could have covered that many more break out sessions--each one had 5-10+ subjects. But honestly, two of us out at the same time, with us being so short-staffed already, would have been asking way more than they would have given us--even had I known about the conference in advance of the request deadline. Oh well, the week is gone. There are no do-overs IRL. I now know what to look for next year. 😁

    ReplyDelete